2010 Annual Report
Citizenship and local districts
District Councils take action
Created in June 2009, the eleven District Councils presented their 2010 work programme at plenary meetings open to residents. Following those meetings, 27 workshops and 9 task forces were created to deal with all issues: transport and urban travel, district events, trade, sustainable development, social integration, destitution, etc.
Coordinated by the district deputies, each council is composed of 2 sections, one for residents and the other for local organisations. Their mission is to issue advice and recommendations on public policies and urban/social projects in the districts concerned.
Two new tools to promote dialogue with residents
Adopted at the beginning of 2010, the Charte de Dialogue Citoyen is a charter which lays down the framework for dialogue with the residents of Nantes. It sets out their role and the way in which they can participate in public debates. This document also contains details on working methods and collaboration between the District Councils, the services and the elected representatives.
To facilitate interchanges between the members of existing bodies (CNPH, CNJ, CNCE) and the eleven District Councils, an extranet was created on an experimental basis. It makes it easier for the members of those bodies to share the coordination of the various task forces as well as their input.
Equality, Integration and Citizenship:
All Nantes residents, whether of French or foreign origin!
At the 2006 census, the population of Nantes included 14,152 foreigners and 19,943 immigrants. Like in all major cities, this growth has lead to an increase in initiatives to promote integration between foreign populations and existing populations. The Conseil Nantais pour la Citoyenneté des Etrangers – a council created by the City in 2003 to promote the citizenship of foreigners – is concretely pursuing that objective starting with the welcoming process in itself through to ensuring the foreigners' access to citizens' rights and fighting against discrimination with regard to work and racism.
A few events in the life of the districts
- Pedestrianisation of Suffren/Grétry/Rameau streets.
Modification of Copernic/Gigant streets for Chronobus line 21.
- Opening of "La Fabrique", a creative place for emerging cultures, intended for the district's cultural organisations, as well as facilities for artists in residence.
- The fashion show "Le plus grand défilé de mode des petites coutures" with Cirkatomic, and "Invisibles" with Arnaud Theval: meetings between artists and residents for shared creation.
Bellevue Chantenay Ste Anne
- Launch of Bellevue's Global Project.
- Open citizens' workshop focused on the multimedia library project.
Hauts-Pavés St Félix
- Opening of an intergenerational complex (home for dependent elderly people, multi-service crèche, social rental housing units) on the site of the former Clinique de l'Espérance.
Malakoff St Donatien
- Delivery of 426 housing units and new public areas at Pré Gauchet (Rue du Pont de l'Arche with the Picasso pedestrian mall linking Malakoff to Dalby).
Island of Nantes
- Social and cultural life marked by an increasing number of events: Printemps des Nefs, 13th "L'île était une fois" festival, as well as the Printemps des Voisins Solidaires, in partnership with the Pierre Landais social restaurant.
- Start of the work to link up tram lines 1 and 2.
- Creation of a vast pedestrian esplanade for hosting events, in place of Porche Jules Raimu.
- Opening of the district house of La Bottière.
- Delivery of 500 new housing units in the Bottière-Chenaie district; a District Council workshop focused on the policy for the welcoming and integration of the district's new residents.
- Joliot Curie / Clos Toreau urban project: rehabilitation and construction operation.
- 10 district teams to monitor the implementation of the districts' social projects
- 27 workshops and 9 task forces created with the 11 District Councils
- 1 person recruited for a mission focused on the citizenship of foreigners
To find out more...