2008 Annual Report
Key figures on the areas
- 6th city in France with 282,853 residents at 1 January 2006 (estimate by Insee) • 6,519 hectares in area, including 1,050 hectares of green spaces and parks
- City of Nantes: 4,604 employees, including the staff of the CCAS (Communal Social Action Centre)
- 47,000 students: 16 higher education institutions and 2,000 researchers
- 2nd market of national interest after Rungis
- SNCF rail links transport a total of 10.5 million passengers a year, including 7 million by TGV. 60 daily inter-City links; more than 20 TGV links a day (Paris, Lille, Strasbourg, Marseilles and Nice)
- 1st hub in the west of France, 7th population centre in France, 274,500 jobs (estimate 2007)
- 590,000 residents (estimate 2009), or 1,127 inhab/sq km; 256,000 homes, of which 19% are social housing (latest known figures)
- Employment: 211,775 salaried jobs in 2007 (estimate by Auran)
- The metropolis of Nantes brings together 24 communes (52,336 hectares) and employs 2,432 staff
- Public transport: 112.7 million journeys a year
- Trams: 3 lines (41.4 km); Busway: 1 line (7 km); 59 bus lines
- 50 km of walkways along the water’s edge and 373 km of bike routes
- 120 hotels with a capacity of 5,200 rooms
- 1.5 million tourists a year (estimate by Auran)
- Water: a single tariff of €2.5626/m3 including tax (without subscription fee) for the year 2009
- 5th metropolis nationally.
- The urban area of Nantes is estimated to include 785,400 residents (Auran - 2009).
- 1st centre for naval construction; 2nd centre for aeronautics; 3rd place for financial services; 4th French port.
- Nantes-Atlantique with 40 regular direct destinations is the 1st airport in the west of France (2.7 million passengers in 2007), 2nd provincial airport for holiday flights.
- Nantes-Saint-Nazaire, 1st European port on the Atlantic, with 33.6 million tonnes of freight a year.
- The population centres of Nantes - Saint-Nazaire, Angers, Rennes, Brest and Tours comprise ¾ of the 2 million residents of the regions concerned
- 1st centre of naval construction and 1st naval defence base • 1st centre for information and communication technologies
- 1st agro-food centre
- 1st oceanographical research centre